Has the last year got you fired up to make a difference? Do you know what’s trending in female empowerment, social justice and the hard-hitting news cycle? Do you feel like you have something important to share in areas of wellness, education, “adulting” and trend? We need you! We are looking for a politically activated, passionate and innovative Op-Ed/Journalism/Social Justice writer for our part-time editorial internship.
Our community is interested in everything from no-nonsense current events to social justice to intersectional feminism, all from her unique perspective. We want to bring those relevant stories to her in a way that is approachable and easily shared. Our team is in search of an intern who can write articles that are top of news cycle, fact driven, well researched and inspires engagement from the Metiza community. It is key that they are ready to write and submit in real time (within reason) so Metiza can be part of the larger conversation.
Metiza is an empowered positive community for young women/female identifying by young women/female identifying. We focus on inspiring and encouraging them to be their best selves, authentic, passionate and vulnerable. Our purpose is to instill a sense of purpose, confidence and love of authentic self into every person. Every voice is important, valuable and worthwhile and our goal is to let your voice shine.
JOB DESCRIPTION: QUARTERLY INTERNSHIP with stipend per quarter. 30-day trial period. For Credit Internship – Arizona State University in person only, others upon remote approval from University.
Interns will gain real-life experience in a successful, empowering start-up publication. Full immersion into the day to day experience of small business growth, marketing skills, community management, peer to peer networking, professional contacts, editorial oversight, work-flow and development of their personal voice as a journalist.
Copy editing, fact checking, WordPress formatting and Community Management are all required skills.
Our goal is to provide entry level skills and beyond to provide interns the job experience to smoothly transition from school to professional life in publication in every way.
- Flexible work days, 10 hours/week approx. Easily adaptable to current school schedule.
- Work alongside our Managing Director/EIC to develop your copywriting to fit our brand voice and brainstorm engaging article content.
- Research and submit 3-5 original posts per week that include: 500-750 word article copy.
- APA copywriting
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization of own articles, video, and contributor posts
- Google Analytics – Site and page views. Increase web presence.
- Social Media Strategy and Outreach. Responsible for Community management on our social platforms, use of AgoraPulse Strategy. Plan and execute social takeovers of platforms for contributors.
- Asana Workflow program to maintain contact and organization with the intern team
- Budget – knowledge of overall budget, strategy for optimization
- Branding – maintain consistent brand voice across platforms, writing, and evangelizing on campus. Outreach via clubs required
Our pledge to you:
- Bi-weekly reviews of reach to improve statistics
- Intern Bi-line will be established and maintained after conclusion of internship as a point of reference for the student for further job inquiries
- Professional reference gladly supplied at conclusion of term
- Witty sense of humor and love of the Oxford comma appreciated
- Excellent copywriting, journalism and storytelling skills.
- Knowledge of social media strategy, community management and content
- Exceptional organization and planning skills to ensure making editorial deadlines.
- Passionate about digital media and fluent in what’s relevant in politics, news, social justice.
If you are interested in joining the Metiza team, please submit your resume, cover letter, and three writing examples that showcase your copywriting and journalism skills to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reviewing your application!