We all know our smart phones are capable of amazing things. But, did you know that you can launch a full career in journalism with the help of these handheld gadgets? Here are some key pieces of mobile journalism equipment and applications to get you started in our Shop this Post feature.
APPS & EDITING
- This application allows you to easily create cover images for Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, and more.
- Taking photos within VSCO is ideal due to their adjustable lighting options and grid-features. You can also edit and store photos within this application.
- Although the native voice memos app in the iPhone is easy to navigate, VoiceRecord allows you to see and adjust audio levels as you’re recording. Avoid low audio levels and download this app!
- Video and audio content takes up a lot of storage. Download Google Photos and get tons of extra space for free.
- For only $19.99 you can have a state-of-the-art mobile application to satisfy all of your audio and video editing needs. LumaFusion is super easy to navigate and much cheaper in comparison to desktop equivalents.
The iPhone X’s native camera lens is already nothing to gawk at, but with these add-ons you can step up your game even further.
Sony DSC-QX10 Digital Camera Module
- A bit pricey averaging at $220, the Sony DSC-QX10, “combines the image quality of a 10x zoom lens and 1/2.3″ Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor with the ever-present convenience and sharing capability of the smartphone.” It actually is a camera as opposed to a lens and can be used with or without a smartphone.
NELOMO Universal Professional HD Camera Lens Kit
- This is the perfect kit for beginners at only about $30. It includes multiple different lenses as well as a carrying case.
8 in 1 Phone Camera Lens Kit
- Even cheaper, this lens kit comes in at about $18. It includes seven lenses that simply clip onto your iPhone and a carrying case as well.
There are tons of options for microphones as well, all at awesome prices.
Rode smartLav+ Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone
- This is my personal favorite option because it’s extremely compact and easy to use. You do, however, have to also purchase the lightening cable adapter. But, the quality is fantastic and the price is reasonable.
RØDE – Electret Condenser Microphone
- This is one of the higher end microphones at about $80, but again still very reasonable. It plugs right into your phone and you’re ready to go!
GIMBALS AND TRIPODS
These gadgets make your videos and photos stable and smooth.
3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- This gimbal can shoot both vertically and horizontally and comes in at about $80.
DJI osmo Mobile 2 Handheld Smartphone Gimbal
- This is the only gimbal that I have experience with, so I can vouch for its smoothness. This piece of equipment truly takes your videos to the next level.
Zhiyun Smooth 4 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer
- This piece is cool because it also functions as a tripod. Although the gimbals are a bit pricey, they are totally worth it. These pieces take your video quality from amateur to pro.
Also published on Medium.