Nothing turns your day around quite like a good ol’ existential crisis. Whether it’s about your life’s purpose or the infinite cosmos, the panic is real. Here are 10 shows and movies to thrust you into the never-ending abyss that is our own mind.
2001: A Space Odyssey
- I saw this movie for the first time in elementary school. It changed my life forever in the best and worst way as I constantly found myself pondering our place in the universe and the significance of humanity itself.
The Big Short
- Nothing brings on panic quite like the build-up of something you know nothing about, such as the “housing bubble.”
The Butterfly Effect
- This movie is super dark and intense but also such a thought-provoker. Our actions may not have the effect portrayed in this film but it really does make you think about your day-to-day decisions and so on.
- Neil Degrasse Tyson is the cool astrophysicist uncle we all wanted but never had (or maybe that’s just me). His rendition of Carl Sagan’s “The Cosmos” is available on Netflix and will surely satisfy your galactic cravings.
- This was the first movie in a long time that I sat through without thinking about anything outside of that movie, just completely invested. I’m sure the logistical accuracy isn’t necessarily perfect but this is a quality film and story.
The Fourth Kind
- I most likely watched this movie far too young and found myself terrified of being abducted by aliens for years (still do, honestly) but if you’re looking for a reason to stay up at night for all the wrong reasons, give this film a go.
- Some episodes of this phenomenal show haunted me for years (the ventriloquist episode, if you know, you know), but it didn’t fail to expand my mind and make me question reality as we know it. Plus there’s something oddly comforting about Rod Serling’s voice.
- Again, another pivotal movie in the blossoming of what one day would be full-blown existential crises. Contact is not only a thought-provoking piece but also hosts an empowered female lead which is always a plus.
The Truman Show
- By now, Jim Carey has well proven his ability to make us laugh and think all at once. The Truman Show will leave you with fleeting moments of fully believing that everyone you know and love was hired to star in the reality show of your life.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- We all sometime wish that we could just erase our memories, but if we could, would you actually want to do it? “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” gives you a peek into such a reality.
- If anything, this show has given us a glorious meme that has stood the test of time like no other. But it also makes you question everything you’ve ever known about the world’s history and beyond. What a double whammy.
Cover image via Futurity