I was recently inspired by a series launched by the Huffington Post called Talk to Me. It encourages children to interview their parents or other family members, exposing a series of funny, candid and authentic conversations. I wanted to explore a similar concept with Metiza and took time to assess within my own family, how and where we have our best conversations. Turns out, they always seem to happen over food. Whether it’s in the kitchen preparing a meal, eating at the dinner table, or visiting one of our favorite restaurants, food seems to be the magic facilitator for the best talks in our family.
So how to capture those moments aside from the typical Insta and Snapchat? We decided to visit a few Metiza girls and their moms to see what happens in their kitchen. We learned so much and can’t wait to share it with you! Our first episode launches today, coinciding with Mother’s Day. Here, you’ll see my daughter Allie and I preparing one of our favorite meals in our family kitchen.
Kitchen Conversation Featured Recipe: Tuna Niçoise Salad
⦁ 8 ounces small yellow potatoes
⦁ Kosher salt
⦁ 4 ounces haricots verts, trimmed
⦁ 6 large eggs, room temperature
⦁ Handful of grape tomatoes
⦁ ½ sliced avacado
⦁ 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil
⦁ 1/4 cup drained capers, patted dry
⦁ 16 oz. high quality tuna, either canned or in jar, preferably in olive oil
⦁ Freshly ground black pepper
⦁ 4 anchovy fillets packed in oil
⦁ 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
⦁ 1/2 teaspoon sugar
⦁ 1 lemon
⦁ 1/2 medium shallot, finely chopped
⦁ 4 cups bibb or your favorite lettuce
⦁ 1/4 cup niçoise olives, pitted
1. Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and add cold water to cover by 1″. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and cook until fork-tender, 15–20 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a plate with a slotted spoon.
2. Return water to a boil and cook haricots verts in same saucepan until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water. Chill until cold, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and pat dry.
3. Return water in pot to a boil and cook eggs 8 minutes. Transfer eggs to bowl of ice water and chill until cold, about 5 minutes. Peel; set aside.
4. Drain tuna, separate with fork and set aside.
5. Meanwhile, mash anchovies, mustard, and sugar in a large bowl to form a coarse paste. Remove peel and white pith from lemon. Working over bowl, cut between membranes of lemon to release segments. Squeeze remaining juice from membranes into bowl; discard membranes. Whisk in shallot, then slowly whisk in remaining 1/4 cup oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
6. Using a fork, break tuna into large flakes. Halve reserved potatoes and eggs crosswise.
7. Arrange lettuce on a platter; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with half of dressing. Top in separate piles with potatoes, haricots verts, hard-boiled eggs, avocados, olives, and tuna. Drizzle salad with remaining dressing and top with capers.0