Every now and then we come across situations in our lives that change our entire perspective on things, people and situations. For instance, recently I found out that someone I know and see daily tried to commit suicide. It hurt me to know this and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. From this moment forward I wanted to make a conscious effort to slow down and be present in the moment. The small insignificant worry I may have in my mind can wait while I interact and exchange a smile with that other person.
We all as human beings are wired for connection and love. Even the smallest interaction with someone can make a difference in their day.
Here are a few tips for slowing down:
- Notice the small things. I live on the water with a beautiful view but sometimes as you probably already know… life gets busy so I miss the view but I’ve been noticing now since implementing going outside on the balcony and appreciating the view, the weather , the birds, dolphins whatever it is makes me find more joy in the simple pleasures life has to offer. Can you guess where I meditate now? Yes, out on my balcony. With this being said….
- Count your blessings. Sometimes we don’t realize how good we really have it. Keeping a gratitude journal and feeling gratitude for all that we do have brings more blessings into our lives.
- Do not compare yourself. The best way I can put it is….there are ups and downs to every situation. It’s easy to get caught up in the glamourous benefits of being an insta model however what we don’t know is how it really is behind the scenes and if we would really would be comparing ourselves if we knew the whole reality of it. Chances are we wouldn’t. Trust that you are where you are supposed to be and the universe is guiding you in the right direction.
- Find the joys life has to offer. Life doesn’t need to be so serious all the time. There are incredible things happening before us every single day. Take the time to enjoy the moment you are living in right now.
- Control what you can control, let the rest take care of itself. Recently I’ve been rushing to complete some requirements to sit for an exam I need to take next year however I was presented with an uncontrollable obstacle that has delayed the process by a few months. I am realizing that this waiting part is not in my control and is an essential part of my journey. So for this one….go with the flow, plan what you need to and take it day by day.
Stop rushing. Slow down and enjoy the beauty of life. ~Debasish Mridha