Our instinctual reaction to any ailment such as a headache or upset stomach is to grab a bottle of Tums or Advil. But, in fact, natural remedies are not only better for your body, but they are often times cheaper and just as effective.
- Almonds contain salicin which is also a component in common painkillers. Eat a handful of almonds instead of popping a couple Advil.
- Peppermint Oil
- Massage peppermint oil onto your temples for a pleasant cooling effect. You can also dilute the oil with coconut oil. It is supposed that the menthol in peppermint is the component that alleviates headaches.
Image via Idea Hacks
- Cut up raw ginger and boil it with water for a tea to help soothe an upset stomach. If that isn’t your “cup of tea” try some ginger chews for the same benefits.
- Peppermint tea and essential oil through aroma therapy can help reduce nausea.
- Hot Lemon Water
- Add a slice of lemon to a cup of hot water.
- Fermented Foods
- Foods like sauerkraut, kombucha, kimchi, yogurt and kefir are packed with probiotics and can all help in establishing bowel regularity.
Image via The Chopra Center
- Due to its rich amount of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, primrose supports hormone production and eases cramping and hormonal acne.
- Through ingesting magnesium capsules or magnesium rich foods such as bananas, spinach or dark chocolate you can ease PMS symptoms such as migraines, irritability, low mood and cramps.
Image via Lighter Brighter You
- Honey is my go to pimple-fighting agent. Apply a dab to any area that’s affected and let it sit for about 20 minutes. It will act as a healing and antibacterial agent on your skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- ACV is good for all sorts of skin conditions. It returns acidity to the skin while also killing bacteria and removing oil. Make sure to dilute the vinegar with water before applying.
- Eliminate Dairy
- Artificial hormones that are used in treating dairy cows can throw off your hormone imbalance when you consume their dairy products according to various studies. Try almond, coconut or other alternatives for your milk and yogurt.
- Tea-Tree Oil
- Put tea tree oil on any acne affected area. It will help diminish pimples and reduce scarring.
Image via Top 10 Home Remedies
- Cherry Juice
- Cherries naturally contain melatonin and also help to increase the availability of tryptophan, which aids in sleep.
- If you want to skip straight to the source, you can buy melatonin supplements. Melatonin resets the body’s sleep clock.
Image via Organic Facts
- Local Honey
- Through ingesting the local pollen in honey, you can become less sensitive to seasonal pollen allergies. Put some honey in your tea or yogurt as an alternative to medication.
- Eucalyptus Oil
- Apply the oil to your chest and temples to relieve congestion and clear a stuffed-up nose.
Image via Pinterest
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- I like this drink so much I have it every night before bed (using local honey of course for my allergies). Combine all of the above ingredients to alleviate a cough and soothe a sore throat.
Image via Paleo Hacks
- Pickle Juice
- Pickle juice is a natural source of electrolytes and sodium which can help with muscle cramps and fatigue.
Image via 9Coach
- Mix this essential into your bath water, diffuse it, or dilute with unrefined oil and apply to the skin.
- Have a cup of chamomile tea to relax and promote sleep.
Image via Online Strength
Cover image via Your Family0
Also published on Medium.