"Live life balls to the wall. Do epic shit. Take every dare that comes your way. You can sleep when you're dead”.
5 Random Facts About Cindy
1. She was a pro skateboarder. Yes, really. At age 15 Cindy became the first female skateboarder to have a centerfold & 2-page article in a skateboard magazine. She turned pro at age 16 and competed in half-pipes and pools during her skateboarding career. Cindy was inducted into the Skateboarding Hall of Fame in 2016 with an introduction by legendary rocker Joan Jett. Her skate history sits in the Smithsonian Museum of National History Sports Collection.
2. At nine years old she left her home in Hermosa Beach to travel and live, in a VW Van with her mom and thirteen-year-old brother for over a year throughout Mexico & Guatemala. Her love of travel and being extremely adaptable to any situation is because of this awesome experience.
3. Cindy has a female empowerment movement & brand, “Girl is NOT a 4 Letter Word” that gives back to girls in skateboarding via 501c3’s and micro-grants. GN4LW also creates opportunities and gives visibility to females in a male-dominated sport. Her mission has been profiled in espnW, Forbes, Teen Vogue and more.
4. She skateboarded down the 405 freeway in Los Angeles during Carmageddon 2. She avoided being arrested.
5. She will always take a dare.
Cindy WhiteheadWhen the news broke late Wednesday night here in the USA that Japan's Sky Brown (who is also a Venice Skatepark local) was skating for Great Britain as we head towards the Olympics, people had a LOT o...Continue reading
Cindy WhiteheadThe news hitting the internet and beyond recently, that Olympic swimmer, and 4x medalist, Simone Manuel, had decided to give up her NCAA status and finally turn pro stopped those in the swimming world...Continue reading
Marisa PieperWhen I was introduced to Cindy Whitehead I was super inspired by her. She’s the OG Badass Female Skater, founder of Girl is Not a 4 Letter Word, and an incredible figure in the skateboarding industr...Continue reading
Jordan "JoJo" BealEXPOSURE returned to the Encinitas Community Park in California on November 2nd – 4th. The 2nd was a day of preparation while the 3rd and 4th were full of exciting competitions for bowl, street, and...Continue reading
Paige BirdI've been a fan of skateboarding for years. Decades really. I have a now adult kid that skates, was the mom that piled all the kids in the car to and from the parks, have even attended the Battle of t...Continue reading
Metiza is an online publication and community created BY and FOR empowered young women, ready to inspire each other and change the world.