Are you spending too much on beauty and skincare products? Does the list of ingredients on the label include things you have never heard of? Do you buy things that you use once and them leave them on shelf? I for one am guilty of all of the above. But with a little effort you can make all of your favorite DIY beauty products at home, AND control what’s in them. Using natural, organic ingredients is not only less expensive than buying products from Sephora or Lush, you’ll end up with a better product that you can put your own stamp on. Plus, the whole process is really fun.
Here are a few of my DIY beauty faves:
Coconut and lime body scrub
½ a cup of melted 100% coconut oil (this one works really well)
½ a cup of raw, cane sugar
1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp of honey
Directions: Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl until it’s all combined. It should become a paste like consistency. Store in an airtight container. Lasts up to 3 days.
- Coconut oil is 100% natural and a moisturizing agent that soothes and improves skin quality
- Cane sugar is a gentle but effective exfoliant
- Lime juice brightens skin and is a natural chemical exfoliant
- Honey helps kill bacteria and moisturize skin
Rose water toner
2 roses for about 1 packed cup full of rose petals (rinse them first)
2 cups of boiling water
Large glass spray bottle
Directions: Take rinsed rose petals from the roses and place them in a small pan. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the petals and cover with a lid. Allow the petals to sit in water until it becomes room temp. Strain water and petals into a latte glass spray bottle. Lasts up to 1 week.
Roses are antibacterial, anti inflammatory, and provide a deep moisturizing element for skin.
Banana, honey, and oatmeal face mask
½ of a mashed banana
½ a cup of pulsed steel cut oats
1 tbsp of honey
1 tbsp of olive oil
Directions: Mix all ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Should be a chunky consistency. Store in an airtight container. Lasts up to 3 days.
- Bananas provide moisturizing nourishment to skin
- Oats are a gentle, natural exfoliant
- Honey helps cure bacteria and also provides moisture
- Olive oil is high in antioxidants, and highly moisturizing